Adult Dog Care
Wellness exams keep your dog as healthy as possible!
The Value of Regular Wellness Exams
Annual or bi-annual wellness exams are just as important for your dog as they are for you. Our canine companions cannot tell us how they are feeling. Bringing your dog to us for their wellness exam on a regular basis is one of the best ways to keeping your dog as healthy as possible.
The wellness exam is an opportunity for us to develop a picture of your dog’s overall health and help us spot potential medical issues before they become serious concerns. They also allow you, a partner in your dog’s health, to ask important questions about your dog’s health, behavior, and daily care. We are here to address all your concerns. We want you to be informed and comfortable with all aspects of your dog’s health needs and lifestyle. We will provide you information about home healthcare for your dog and offer important advice and new information on the care of your type and breed of dog.
Wellness Care Options
At Pet Wellness Animal Hospital, we see wellness care to include a wide variety of options to be discussed with and decided upon by our pet parents. These options include:
· Protection from infectious diseases through judicious use of vaccines (for more information on vaccines, please view our vaccinations page)
· Screening for the presence of parasites in blood and stool
· Heartworm screening and prevention
· Fleas and tick prevention and the diseases they transmit
· Nutritional Advice
· Screening for illnesses if symptoms are present
· Screening for cancer, kidney, liver, and heart disease for older dogs if symptoms are present
Our Wellness Exams are Comprehensive
During your dog’s wellness exam, our veterinarians will:
· Obtain a medical history
· Check vitals and record your dog’s weight
· Perform a complete physical examination, discuss any findings and make recommendations
· Perform a dental Evaluation. Dental care is very important for your dog’s overall health, especially as he gets older. We visually examine your pet’s teeth and gums for plaque and tartar, tooth weakness and decay. This screening often detects mouth pain and infections that can affect your pet’s heart, kidneys, and liver. Learn more about the dental care offered at Pet Wellness Animal Hospital.
· Heartworm Prevention. Heartworm disease is a serious disease transmitted by infected mosquitoes and if left untreated can be fatal. It is virtually preventable through prescription medication. We recommend your dog be on all-year around heartworm prevention starting at your puppy’s first visit. Your dog will need to be tested with a simple blood test for heartworm disease on an annual basis. Please visit our FAQs page for more information on heartworm and why the annual blood test is necessary.
· Administration of safe medications to eradicate parasites even before or after they have been detected
Please call us today to schedule a visit with one of our veterinarians so that together we may assess and discuss your pet’s health in detail.